Open Bible Standard Churches originated from two revival movements: Bible Standard Conference, founded in Eugene, Oregon, under the leadership of Fred Hornshuh in 1919, and Open Bible Evangelistic Association, founded in Des Moines, Iowa, under the leadership of John R. Richey in 1932. Similar in doctrine and government, the two groups amalgamated in 1935, as "Open Bible Standard Churches" with headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa.
Open BibleHistorical roots of the parent groups reach back to the outpourings of the Holy Spirit in 1906 at the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles and to the full gospel movement in the Midwest. Both groups were organized under the impetus of Pentecostal revival. Simple faith, freedom from fanaticism, emphasis on evangelism and missions and free fellowship with other groups were characteristics of the growing organizations.
There are over 46,000 members in 371 Open Bible congregations and over 1100 licensed or ordained ministers in the United States. Additionally, there are over 45,000 members in over 700 international congregations.
For more information please visit: